In conjunction with World Environment Day which is celebrated every year in June, Ecoknights and MENGO are teaming up with Sunway Property to organise the ‘Race For A Better Planet 2016’.
What is World Environment Day and what does it stand for?
It is part of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) aimed at creating global awareness for the public to take positive environmental action to protect nature and our planet Earth.
Due to the overwhelming response of the first Discovery Walk that occurred last year, we decided to have an even bigger and better route lined up for this year’s participants with more fun, games and challenges to overcome!
This year’s ‘Race For A Better Planet’ aims to create awareness of various environmental concerns and the importance of preserving and respecting nature. This event will be held at 4 city locations: Ipoh, Penang, Kuala Lumpur & Johor Bahru. For more information on the dates and the race mechanisms of each location, please click your location of choice below and a drop down box will be displayed to give you more information about the event.
This competition inspired by the show, The Amazing Race requires a team of 4 to compete against each other in completing tasks and questions at several checkpoints throughout the allocated route. At each checkpoint, your team is required to obtain stamps to fill up your Green Passport while collecting mystery items along the way. The winning group will be determined based on the highest points earned from stamps collected in your Green Passport.
The registration fee of this event will differ according to different locations of participation. A team consists of 4 people and registering your team will entitle each member to a goodie bag containing a packed lunch, a Sustainability Kit and many more freebies! A finisher medal will be given upon submission of the green passport.
Other exciting activities on top of the walk includes 4 DIY Workshops, a performance by Eco Drum, a lucky draw and booths such as face and body tattoo painting.
Excited yet? What are you waiting for? Register now for this exhilarating and adrenalizing event as spaces are limited! You can register your team of 4 here at http://www.myraceonline.com/
We hope to see you there!
Date: 28th of May 2016
Time of event: 7.00a.m. – 1.00p.m.
Time of race: 7.00a.m. – 10.00a.m.
Venue: Sunway Lost World of Tambun, Ipoh
To focus on environmental education and awareness
The competition requires each team (a group of 4) to complete tasks at 7 checkpoints. Each checkpoint has questions that are worth 5 points and a task that needs to be executed. These environmental related questions and tasks will be held throughout the 5km route around Sunway City Ipoh and Sunway Lost World of Tambun Theme Park. At every checkpoint, each group is required to obtain stamps to complete their Green Passport while collecting mystery items along the way. The winning teams will be determined based on the highest points earned.
- Ecodrum performance
- Morning Zumba
- Face & Body Tattoo Painting
- DIY Workshop- a talk and demo in using: Compost, Ecoenzyme & Seedballs
Water station, a banana, packed lunch (vegetarian)
- A Sustainability Kit containing: Compost, Ecoenzyme and a Seedballs
- Event T-Shirt
- Finisher medal (upon completion of the race)
Limited to 250 people (62 teams)
Registration Fee: RM60 per group
Registration dateline: 23 May 2016
3 winning teams will bring home attractive prizes!
Extra Early Points Opportunity!
Obtain these early points during the race by going to the registration counter and have/do the following item/task:
- Each team needs to bring a recycled glass jar (1 only) – 330ml and above
- Each team needs to bring unused plastic bags
- Each team needs to upload a picture in social media (with hashtags #SunwayWED2016 and #IpohWED2016) before the race starts.
Race Kit Collection:
Upon registration for the race, teams are required to collect a Race Kit the day before the event. The Kit contains:
- T-shirts for each team that should be worn on the day of the race.
- Bibs which contain your group number that should be worn on the day of the race.
- A Sunway Bag that should also be brought on the day of the race to contain your mystery items during each checkpoint of the race.
By doing this, your group is also entitled to earn extra points in the race.
Map of Sunway City Ipoh
Rules and Regulations/Terms and Conditions
- DISCOVERY RACE @ SUNWAY CITY IPOH 2016(DRSCI) is an environment race open to all ages. Entry Fee is RM60 per group of 4 persons.
- A group shall consist of 4 pax. Participants below 18 years of age must have at least TWO group members who are above 18 years old at time of entry as a guardian.
- Take care of your personal belongings that you may have with you and in no circumstances should you leave it unattended. The organisers will not be responsible for the loss, damage or theft of such personal property.
- All groups need to obtain all stamps from all 7 checkpoints to be rewarded a finisher medal upon submission of the Green Passport.
- The winning group will be selected based on the highest points collected based on the Green Passport. The time taken for a group to finish the race will only be taken into account if there are groups that have the same number of points.
- I/We hereby declare that all information provided during registration is correct after the payment has been made. I/We understand that my/our participation in Discovery Race @ Sunway City Ipoh can be forfeited if the details given are incorrect.
- The organiser reserves the right to amend the rules, change or postpone the date or cancel the event if it is deemed needful without prior notice.
- In some cases teams will arrive at tasks at the same time. The team that arrives at the checkpoint first has the chance to complete the task before the next team that arrives.
- The organiser reserves the right to change the prize to an equivalent or similar value without notice.
- All decisions made by the organiser are deemed final. Any disputes regarding the decision will not be entertained.
REGISTRATION & RACE PACK COLLECTION
- By signing up to this event you have already agreed to the following:
- “I agree to abide by the rules of the event. I understand that I enter the race at my own risk and that no person(s) or organization(s) will be held responsible for any accident, injury or loss to myself prior to, during or after the event. I understand the organisers reserve the right to delay, postpone, cancel or not officially time the race in the event of adverse weather conditions or other events outside the organizers control. Photographs of the race will be taken for publicity purposes. I understand that my image may be used and give permission freely for it to be used. I understand that entrants under 18 years old require the permission of a parent or guardian to take part in the event.”
- Participants are required to join in a group of 4 to be entitled to be in the race.
- Registration is confirmed and final upon payment. Participation fees are non-refundable.
- Participation fees will only be refundable should the organiser cancel the event without prior notice.
- Race entries are not interchangeable. Entries cannot be assigned, transferred or sold to any third party and is therefore strictly prohibited.
- All participants must collect their race pack at the designated location during the collection period of which details will be emailed to participants and stated on Sunway Property’s official website. If participants are unable to collect their race pack in person, they may empower a duly authorised representative to collect on behalf with proof of registration/payment.
- Late collection will not be entertained and the organiser shall not be liable for any other loss or inconvenience caused, due to participants’ inability to collect their race pack. Race packs not collected during the collection period will be deemed to be unwanted, and the organiser shall be at liberty to dispose or re-distribute them accordingly.
- Whilst reasonable precaution will be taken by SUNWAY to ensure the participants’ safety, the participant takes part in DRSCI 2016 is at his or her own risk. SUNWAY, ECOKNIGHTS and their partners will not be responsible or held liable for any injury or death howsoever arising during participation in DRSCI 2016. The participant is strongly encouraged to consult his or her medical practitioner prior to registration and before event day.
- Participant must retire from the race immediately if required to do so by any member of the organising committee, official medical staff, and/or security officer.
- Please walk on the designated pavements as per arranged by the organisers and follow the road/ traffic rules.
- Do not run and be courteous to others during your race.
- In the event the conditions beyond Sunway’s control during DRSCI no longer permit the event to continue (including but not limited to health and safety concerns arising from weather or haze), Sunway reserves all right to cancel the DRSCI immediately at its sole discretion.
- This is a race competition event and all competitors enter at their own risk. Medical assistance will be provided for the duration of the event but no liability will be accepted by race organisers for any injury incurred during the race.
- Participants must wear the event shirt provided by the organiser during DRSCI 2016. Participants not wearing event shirt will be taken off the race route by security officers or route marshals.
- Each group will be provided a race passport, known as the Green Passport (one passport per group) during the race and will be required to take care of it throughout the race.
- The race route will be monitored by traffic officers during the duration of the race, up to five hours from the flag off.
- Pets, bicycles, in-line skates, prams, push carts, shoes with built-in or attached rollers and any other wheel-run objects are not allowed on the race route.
- The organiser reserves the right to use any photographs, recordings, or any other media records (including those displaying the Participant) of the DWSSQ 2016, for any legitimate purpose. Pictures and video footage may be used on the race website or that of our sponsors and in advertising material and media write-ups. All competitors entering the Discovery Race @ Sunway City Ipoh agree to their photograph being used for these purposes.
- Participants grant Sunway, by entering this DRSCI 2016, , worldwide non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable right and license to - with respect to the Participants’ image, voice, performance, or likeness - use, publish, reproduce, display, perform, adapt, modify, create derivative works, distribute, have distributed, print, promote DRSCI 2016, Sunway and/or the participant, in whole or in part, in any form now or hereafter known including but not limited to photographs, motion pictures or recordings, anywhere in the world for any purpose including that related to DRSCI 2016, the publication in Sunway promotional digital and/or printed materials and formats broadcast including but not limited to on Sunway magazines, printed leaflet and brochures, Sunway website and/or through other public online feeds, promoting subsequent events and/or the work of Sunway generally.
- The participant hereby hold, jointly and severally, harmless, release, indemnify and discharge Sunway, its partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their directors, employees, officers and representatives from all liability, claims, judgments, demands, controversies, agreements, damages, actions and causes of action whatsoever, arising out of or related in any way to DRSCI or the conduct of DRSCI, whether in law or in equity, no matter what the cause or nature, and the participant further waives any claims that may state or assert against Sunway in association with DRSCI or any of its associated activities, or in any way related to or resulting from DRSCI even if such injury or claims results from or is caused by the negligence or gross negligence of Sunway, in whole or in part. The participant further agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Sunway from any claim arising out of the participation in DRSCI including, without limitation, all claims brought or asserted by any third party as a result of any injury or loss that the participant or they may sustain in any way associated with the participation in DRSCI.
- Organizers will not be held liable in the event of loss, personal injury or death as a result of participation in this competition.