- Category: News
- Published: Friday, 30 November 2018 00:03
Friday, 23rd November 2018 – As one of the efforts under the River of Life Public Outreach Programme (ROP:POP), the EcoKnights team together with 11 volunteers from UCSI, 39 from Cybernetics, 5 from Sunway University and 5 from 1 Razak Community participated in the tree planting programme at Surau Al-Falahiah 1 Razak Mansion. Also, among the guests who participated in the initiative programme are Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) employees and Vanke Holdings Sdn Bhd representatives.
The programme started off with the tree planting with fencing and tagging activity and continued with a mud ball making workshop. After that, the programme ended with mud ball throwing into Kerayong river. Kerayong river is one of the eight rivers that are located within the Greater KL/Klang Valley region listed under the River Cleanup project by River of Life.
Four types of species were planted during the tree planting initiative, together with organic compost to give the trees a good start and coconut husks to protect their roots. The tree species planted were:
- Ciku Mega (Manilkara zapota) – The leaves act as anti-diabetic, antioxidant and cholesterol-lowering.
- Pisang berangan (Musa acuminata) – The fruit can be made into a variety of savoury dishes
- Durian Belanda (Annona muricata) – Rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin B1 and Vitamin B2.
- Longan Berlian (Dimocarpus longan) – Contains Vitamin A, vitamin B, B1, B2, B3, vitamin C, calcium and iron