- Category: News
- Published: Monday, 13 August 2018 00:15
We have a trifling 9.2 billion tons of plastic to deal with globally as of today. Based on that figure alone, more than 6.9 billion tons have become waste. However, a mind-boggling 6.3 billion tons did not end up in the recycling bin. As a consequence of results, no one knows how much unrecycled plastic waste ends up in rivers, arguably the world’s second largest sink. In 2015, engineering professor Jenna Jambeck of University of Georgia estimated that between 5.3 to 14 million tons of plastics were being dumped carelessly on land or in rivers, mostly in Asia.
The pollution of rivers also proves to be a huge predicament in our own backyard here in Sungai Bunus, Kuala Lumpur. However, there are various parties that are working to take action upon preserving and saving the livelihood of our treasured rivers. As such, The River of Life (ROL) is a project that is part of Malaysia’s National Transformation Policy and targets to revolutionise eight rivers that transverses the Klang Valley.
In conjunction with World River’s Day on 29th September 2018, EcoKnights, along with Local Agenda 21 and DBKL, all part of the Sungai Bunus Action Group will be working together to raise awareness amongst the participants and public on issues related to river pollution through the River of Life (Sungai Bunus Restoration Project).
Join us in spreading awareness towards taking environmental responsibility to treasure rivers. For this campaign, we need 1000 people to support this effort to raise funds for the Sungai Bunus Action Group to create more suitable programmes for the community of Sungai Bunus.
EcoKnights will organise the Bunus Fun Walk 4 River 2018 campaign together with LA21 Kuala Lumpur and other partners. This year, the Walk 4 River campaign will be held on:
Date: Saturday, 29th September 2018
Time: 7 am to 12 pm.
Venue: Bunus River Retention Pond, Kuala Lumpur (near the National Library of Malaysia)
Individual – RM 30 (inclusive of a goodie bag)
Corporate Package – RM 500 for 10 pax (inclusive of a free gift per participant, 1 tree to plant along the riverbank of Sungai Bunus and a plaque of appreciation for each respective group.)
**For more information regarding corporate registrations, please feel free to call us at +603 7731 8361 (Weekdays only, from 10am – 6pm) or email us at email@example.com
A few snippets of Sungai Bunus:
Fun Walk Track 3.5 km
- Length around the lake is about 1.75 km.
- 2 laps needed to reach 3.5 km.
Activities on the campaign day
- Zumba session
- Checkpoints with engaging eco activities for participants
- A variety of mini workshops
- Kids rock painting activities
- Face and body tattoo painting
- Musical performances
- Lucky draw with prizes to be won
- Food trucks
|7.45 am||Welcoming speech|
|8.00 am||Short speech by VIP|
|8.10 am||Zumba/ Warm up session|
|8.25 am||Ready for Flag Off|
|8.30 am||Flag Off (2 laps & checkpoint activities)|
|10.00 am||Cooling down + free activities/ eco workshops + food trucks|
|11.30 am||Closing ceremony|
|12.00 pm||Event End|
EcoKnights has organised a few fun-walks in the past and here are a few activities run during the campaign:
What is the Sungai Bunus Action Group (Jawatankuasa Komuniti Sungai Bunus)?
The Jawatankuasa Sungai Bunus – Sungai Nadi Kehidupan was formulated in 2015 under Local Agenda 21 of DBKL. The role and function of this group is to represent the community in river management, awareness, monitoring and stakeholder engagement of riverine communities in the Bunus river basin. This group was formed as part of the Public Outreach Programme of the ROL effort during Fasa 1 and it’s BOTTOM-UP effort is geared towards empowering Sungai Bunus communities to take better care of the river, reduce the pollution, enhance the real estate value of the riverbank areas and create a green recreational space for the city.
In February 2017, the committee members have identified and formulated an action plan (Pelan Tindakan), which serves as a guide and reference for the members to conduct programmes, activities and advocacy efforts together with LA21 and DBKL with the aim of achieving the vision and mission of this group.
- Vision and Mission of the Jawatankuasa
- Jawatankuasa Kerja Sungai Nadi Kehidupan LA21 KL – Sungai Bunus
What is the River of Life (Sungai Bunus Restoration Project)?
Sungai Bunus is one of the rivers connecting the main river of Kuala Lumpur; Sungai Klang.
Sungai Klang is the heart of Kuala Lumpur and its existence has been a symbol of life and civilisation. However, Sungai Bunus is considered as Class IV, in which it is deemed to be unsuitable for bodily contact or for any recreational purpose.
To increase people’s awareness about the importance of rivers and the subsequent negative impact that humans have on it.
By creating suitable programmes for the community.
Hereby is a list of programmes in the past conducted under the Sungai Bunus Restoration Project (please click link to read article):
- Kutipan Sampah di Sungai Klang Mencecah 10 Tan Sebulan
- EcoKnights In Collaboration with Kenanga Investment Bank For Kenanga Earth Month Programme – Green At Work
- Project River Of Life (ROL) – Green Outreach Program at Perumahan Awam Panjang Ikan Emas
- Tree-planting Together with edotco Group Sdn Bhd
- EcoKnights and Repsol Oil & Gas Malaysia Volunteer Programme in Sungai Bunus
- EcoKnights Participates in the World Rivers Day Celebration at Sungai Bunus with Local Agenda 21 and DBKL
- EcoKnights in collaboration with Kenanga Group Planted Trees at Sungai Bunus for their Kenanga Earth Month Programme – Green at Work, Plant-A-Tree Project
- KNIGHTS in MELAKA: A Leap Steps for ROL-POP Sungai Bunus Action Group
- EcoKnights Supports the Restoration of Sungai Bunus River Program with a Fruit Tree Planting Effort
- EcoKnights Leads Effort to Engage Community in the River of Life - Public Outreach Program (ROL-POP) with DBKL
For more information about the Bunus Fun Walk 4 River 2018 campaign, please contact us at
Contact Person: Mr Zafran Zahari +603 7731 8361
(Weekdays only, from 10am – 6pm)